Debre Damo Monastery
DebreDamo Monastery is found on the isolated flat topped mountain in northern part of Tigray some 85kms east of Axum. It is the oldest existing a 6th c and the 1st monastery in Ethiopia. The mountain is steeply raising plateau of rectangular shape, about 1000 by 400 meters in dimension.
The monastery built in Axumite style with curved wood panels, painted ceilings and walls dedicated to Saint (Abune) Aregawi one of Nine Saints” who came to Ethiopia from Syria to spread Christianity. After that the history of DebreDamo is related with Saint Aregawi who settled on the top of mountain.
The Monastery is known for its magnificent view and extensive collections of priceless manuscripts. It is only accessible by climbing up a rope, which is made of “plaited leather”, lowered from the cliffs, which visitors tie around their waist and are then pulled up by a monk at the top of the cliffs. It is only accessible to men and male animals.